September 17, 2010 at 4:00 am
Ex-Seward manager can’t escape attention over wife’s occupation
- Source: Anchorage Daily News
- Former Seward city manager Scott Janke, who last year was fired from the town manager post in Fort Myers Beach, Fla., when the town council learned his wife is an adult-film actress, is back in the Florida news again: He is a finalist for the same position in Flagler Beach, reports The Orlando Sentinel. But The Daytona Beach News-Journal reports this morning that Janke has offered to withdraw his application because of the controversy over his wife’s occupation — even though he and his wife separated months ago.
- From The News-Journal:
- Janke said he offered to withdraw from consideration “because of all the commotion that’s been arising” over his application.
- Janke, who has been separated since January from his wife, Annabela Mote Janke, who performs in adult films under the name Jazella Moore, said he decided to leave it up to commissioners if the controversy was “making them uncomfortable.” …
- “At the end of the day, they’re elected by the people and they have to deal with it,” Janke said. “If they were OK with all the media attention they’re getting, I’d love to have the job.”
- At least one Flagler Beach city commissioner is on Janke’s side. From The Sentinel:
- “I think that he’d be a really good city manager,” Flagler Beach commissioner Jane Mealy said. She said Janke’s wife’s profession wouldn’t factor into her decision.
- “As far as I’m concerned, it has no impact,” Mealy said.
- Mealy predicted that “by next week, people will have forgotten” about any controversy surrounding Janke.
- Last year, Janke unsuccessfully applied for the city manager job in Petersburg.